Wednesday, February 6, 2008

How it all started...

A lil bit over a year ago, I went searching for a way to volunteer...but not just any way- I wanted to make a difference.
So, I skipped over to good old Google, and that's when the ball started rolling.
I was quick to find out that there are people out there called "Puppy Raisers".

Puppy Raisers get an 8 week old pup (from an organization) and are to train and socialize the pup for a year and a half, or maybe a lil bit longer.
Once it's time for the pup to leave the Puppy Raiser's care, it'll go back to the organization, and be tested to see if it will qualify to go on to be a Guide or Service dog.
If the pup does not pass, the Puppy Raiser has the option of keeping the dog, or it will be adopted by a family (from a long waiting list of people who want a well-behaved dog).

After searching some different organizations, I decided to go with KSDS.
SO, I put an application in to be a Puppy Raiser, and just today I got word that I would be able to pick up a pup on Valentines Day! :)

I'm VERY excited! Lord willing, next time you see me, I'll have a furry pup by my side. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A couple of the reasons I chose them-
1. KSDS supplies all of the dog food and ships it to my door- at no charge to me.
2. KSDS also supplies all of the HeartWorm that the pup will need- at no charge to me.
3. Each pup/dog that passes the Guide/ Service dog testing will be given (at no charge) to a qualified disabled person! :)

PLUS~KSDS has one of the highest success rates of any assistance dog organization at over 70%. They were also the first organization in the united states to train both guide and service dogs under one roof.

KSDS uses Labs and Golden Retrievers, and when one puts in an application they can request what breed they'd prefer and if they'd like a girl dog or a boy.

I requested a male Golden Retriever.

Check out their website- http://ksds.org/

4 comments:

Lisa and pups said...

YAY! Great to hear how you got started as a KSDS puppy raiser.

Sarah and Romeo said...

Yes!!!!!! I'm sooo excited for you!!! KSDS is sooo awesome and you are soooo awesome for becoming a puppy riaser! :) :) Kudos to you.
Can't wait to see him.

Unknown said...

Oooh, how FUN!! I can't believe it! A valentines day puppy!! That's so SOON too! Can't wait to see pics of the little guy! (Too bad I can't see both of you in person!)

Erin said...

OMG!!! YESSSSSSSSSS GOldens are the AWSOMEST dogs to start out with!!!! I miss my so much!!! Wahoo!!! Man I'm excited for you!