I've been thinking...my biggest concern, when it comes to being a puppy raiser for KSDS, is my dog.
I've had Susie for the last 3 years, before me she had two different homes, and she's very jealous when it comes to me.
If I'm home she sticks to me like she's my shadow (I don't mind her doing this), if I pet or show any attention to another animal (other then her) she attempts to get between me and the animal.
Now, I've been trying to work with her, and generally if I tell her to lay down, so that I can spend some time with the other animal, she generally obeys (reluctantly, of course) and she knows the meaning of "no".
She's loyal all right, some times too loyal. I think that she would eventually get used to me having another dog, especially since it'll start out as a pup...but sometimes I get to wondering...
I trust Susie to not eat the pup when I have my back turned, but I still think it'll be hard on her...but maybe it would help her jealous issues?
I guess, over all, I'm mainly worried that it'll make Susie's jealousy issues worse.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things play out, eh?
4 comments:
They will eventually get used to each other, I had the same fear with Bubbles, who would growl and bark at any dog who came in our home...when my AC came for the home visit with her dog, Bubbles had a FIT!!! And for the first month or so with my first puppy Jake, it was tough,He and Bubbles never got a along. But know Rei and Bubbles are "best" friends, I have left them togethor by themselves without a problem.And bubbles is fine with other dogs in the house, as long as we let her meet them before we get home rather than bringing them into our house.
So it will take time, but I think you will be fine. Just remember to give susie some Mommy time all by herself!!
Yeah, I agree with Erin, Give Susie some you time and she'll learn that you now have another one to take care of.
That was like my oldest. She actually attacked my younger one when she was a pup (long story, call me) and twice within the next year. Now they live together, eat and sleep together.
I guess you'll just have to wait and see. I know my story is a little extreme, but Just for starters, don't leave them unoccupied. especially for the first few weeks, I wouldn't let them be together too much. Let Susie gradually get used to this idea. She might need a bit of time. With you smelling like the pup and her seeing the pup, without alot of interaction will let her know that someone else needs you attention too.
I read Lisa's note on Facebook...I hope some pups come soon!
WOW, what a good puppy raiser you will be - you're already thinking things through. I have no advice, since I have no other dog and don't really have any ideas or suggestions to give you! Other than, good luck! ;) I'm sure you can make it work. You have enough love to share! Can't wait to hear you're getting a new little one to love on.
Hello, I just came upon you blog and wanted to link to you. I am Megan currently raising Sherman a Male Black Lab for GDB. Good luck with your new pup. I have found that things go a lot smoother if I introduce my pet and PIT on neutral ground and not at home. Good Luck!
Post a Comment